Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Strawberry dreams


1
I'm practically done with junior year. Imagine that. (I reiterate practically because, well, technically, I haven't exactly finished with requirements. There is still the matter of submitting the essays on Stephen Dobyns and Federico Licsi Espina. And then that blasted paper on Francis Ponge. And then another essay about oppression, freedom, and the notion of beauty in the literatures of the Non-Western World. [No, no name-dropping here. No, oh look at me, I'm so smart, reading up on such smart-sounding people, and all those relevant subjects! Pfft. I'm swamped, damn it, in over my head and I know it.])

2
I finished that story I told you was brewing in my head the other day. It's called "Quick, the Tomatoes" and I'm quite pleased with myself, thank you very much. :) Maybe it's the influx of domesticity in the literature I encounter lately -- in academe, in leisure --but "Tomatoes" could very well be a variation on the theme tackled by "Digressions" and "The Twenty-first Month." But then, almost none of you have any idea what I'm talking about now, do you? Oh well.

3
For the life of me, I can't find the page in But for the Lovers that says, "Garlanded thus, the world was tolerable." (Beats me why this is a matter of such significance that I gleefully tossed my first draft of the Ponge paper to scour to Nolledo's novel.) And I don't even know if "tolerable" is the correct word. So, PLE classmates, a little help here?

4
This is for all the bitter old people who (to paraphrase My Chemical Romance) have the shit scared out of 'em by us adolescents:

"When adults say, 'Teenagers think they are invincible' with that sly, stupid smile on their faces, they don't know how right they are. We need never be hopeless, becuase we can never be irreparably broken. We think that we are invincible becuase we are. We cannot be born, and we cannot die. Like all energy, we can only change shapes and sizes and manifestations. They forget that when they get old. They get scared of losing and failing. But that part of us greater than the sum of our parts cannot begin and cannot end, and so it cannot fail."
- from Looking for Alaska by John Green

HAHAHA, peace and love, people. :)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home